24 janvier 2006

The one with pics of me and embarassing stories

No...not those kinds of pictures and embarassing stories...

The parental units have requested more pictures of me ("Are you the one taking all the pictures? How come you're not in any?!") so I will try to relinquish control of my new camera to others (as tough as that may be)...or just steal pictures from my friends (tee hee). Click on these to see bigger versions...
Dinner at Restaurant le Sud with the UVA group...

Riding the big Ferris Wheel, giddy with being way too many feet up in the air.

Can we ride it again?

So, for the embarassing stories part of this entry....
Today I go to purchase another phone card for my cell. It's like a pre-paid phone deal, you just buy cards of minutes whenever you need them. As I wasnt sure exactly which one I needed, I decide to go to the Bouyges Telecom store. I mean, it would make sense that they would sell recharge cards at the store....right? I figure this will take 5 minutes and as I have the old card with me, I tell myself this will be no problem and if the guy can't understand me, I will show him what I want. Ah no no no.
I ask this guy for a card and instead of asking something like how many minutes I want or whatever, he asks for my identity card and my address. Ok, I think, maybe this is just some weird process of tracking the minutes cards. Then I start to wonder that maybe this isn't right so I show him the thing i have and ask if its the same thing. He says yes, and after a few minutes of confusion with him trying to speak in english and me trying to reply in french (they really should just stick to trying to rephrase it in french), he says this is what I want. Then he asks for my phone and types in a number and frowns. "This...not good," he says, shaking his head at me. I tell him I just want more minutes. He starts tearing up the receipt, looks super annoyed, and says "oh, for this, you have to go to the tabac." That's the tobacco store/newsstand. So, congratulations to me, for successfully annoying at least one person today. And PS, I went to the tabac and it took all of 5 seconds to get the card. But why the telephone store doesn't sell them remains a mystery... Stay tuned for the next 5 months while I attempt to discover why.